Thai Style Pumpkin and Basil Soup
Chef Top Tip
"This soup is lovely and fragrant – and extremely light! Galangal is often known as ‘blue ginger’; it has a unique camphor flavour and really makes this Thai vegetable soup special"
- 25g unsalted butter
- 450g pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp ground galangal
- 1 Thai red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 750ml prepared vegetable bouillon
- 200ml coconut milk
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 8 fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- Heat the butter in a pan, add the diced pumpkin and fry for 3-4 minutes or until lightly coloured.
- Add the onion, garlic, galangal and chilli - cook together for two minutes.
- Stir in the Thai red curry paste and cook for further two minutes until fragrant.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the pumpkin is just tender.
- Finally, stir in the coconut milk and add the torn basil leaves. Season to taste and transfer to individual serving bowls.
- Sprinkle some toasted pumpkin seeds over each soup and serve.
All products marked in bold are available to purchase through Vegetarian Express.