Smoked Almond and Lentil Tandoori Burgers with Carrot Relish and Coriander Sour Cream
Chef Top Tip
"When summer is here I love to prepare and eat all manner of different flavoured burgers, ideally cooked on a hot charcoal fire. This burger is a favourite of mine, as a great vegetarian option"
- 50ml sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tb tandoori powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp black mustard seeds
- 400g red lentils
- 50g smoked almonds
- 25g ground almonds
- 1 small egg
- 3 tb gram flour
- 3 tb freshly chopped coriander
- Some fresh white breadcrumbs to bind
- Salt, freshly ground black pepper
For the relish
- 50g moong dhal, soaked in boiling water for 4 hours, drained.
- 100g grated carrot
- 30g desiccated coconut
- 2 tb shredded coriander
- ¼ tsp crushed chilli flakes
- 2 tb lemon juice
- 2 tb sunflower oil
For the Coriander Sour Cream
- 100ml sour cream
- 2 tb chopped coriander
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 burger baps, halved and toasted
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Shredded iceburg lettuce
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
For the burgers:
- Heat oil in a frying pan, when hot add the onion, garlic, chilli, tandoori spice, coriander and mustard seeds; Cook for 2-3 minutes until onion is soft and lightly golden.
- Add the cooked lentils, cook for further minute.
- Transfer to a food processor, add the smoked almonds, ground almonds, egg, fresh coriander, gram flour and enough breadcrumbs to bring it firmly together, season to taste.
- Allow to go cold, shape into 4 classic burger patties, chill in fridge until needed.
- For the Relish:
- Place the dhal, carrots, coriander and coconut in a bowl, mix well.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan, add mustard seeds, cover with lid, leave until seeds start to ‘pop’.
- Add chillies, remove from the heat, add lemon juice, allow to go cold.
- When cold, mix well with the carrot mix, seasoning to taste.
- For the sour cream sauce, simply mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Cook the burgers on a hot grill or frying pan, about 3 minutes each side.
- Place little shredded lettuce on the base of each bap base, spoon on some of the sour cream.
- Top each with a good spoonful of the relish and a cooked lentil burger.
- Finally place some sliced tomato and shallots on each burger and top each with the other half bun.
- Serve little extra sour cream on the side.
All products marked in bold are available to purchase through Vegetarian Express.