Middle Eastern BBQ Peppers with Aubergine, Feta and Smoked Cashew Tahini
Chef Top Tip
"The smokiness in this recipe works really well with the aubergine and feta, making a wonderful filling for the sweet red peppers. You can make up the stuffing or even the whole dish well in advance of serving, and then just finish on the BBQ."
- 100g cashew nuts
- 150g Greek style yoghurt
- 3 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red chili, deseeded & finely chopped
- 2 medium sized aubergines, cut in 1cm thick slices
- 100g crumbled feta
- 2 tbsp tahini
- ½ tsp liquid hickory smoke
- 4 large red peppers, halved, deseeded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Place the cashews in a food processor; blitz until coarsely ground, stir in the yoghurt, 2/3 of the coriander, garlic and chilli placing to one side.
- Heat a charcoal barbecue and when at temperature add the aubergine slices, grill for 4-5 minutes until golden on both sides then remove and cool slightly.
- Chop the aubergines coarsely and add to the cashew mix.
- Add the tahini, liquid smoke and feta; season to taste.
- Brush the pepper halves liberally inside and out with the olive oil, then season the insides lightly.
- Fill the pepper halves with the aubergine mix, then wrap loosely in foil.
- Place on the edges of the barbecue grill and cook for 20-25 minutes until the peppers are just tender, then serve sprinkled with the remaining chopped coriander.
All products marked in bold are available to purchase through Vegetarian Express.