Chinatown Smoky Tofu Flatbread Pizza
Serves: 2 (one large pizza)
Chef Top Tip
"Smoked tofu is wonderful when used as a topping for a tasty vegetarian pizza; here I have used a simple pizza dough base that requires no yeast, baked in a very hot oven to obtain great results but you could use your own favourite base instead"
For the pizza base:
- 175g self-raising flour
- 3g salt
- 150ml water
- Approximately 1 tbsp olive oil
For the marinated tofu:
- 300g smoked tofu, cut into 1cm thick slices
- 2cm piece root ginger, grated
- ½ tsp chinese five spice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
For the topping:
- 6 spring onions, cut into 2.5cm lengths
- 4 char-grilled peppers, drained and torn into thick strips
- 100g grated mozzarella cheese
- 75ml hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped coriander
- For the tofu, place the slices in a shallow dish. Mix the remaining ingredients from the marinade together, pour over the tofu and leave covered for 24 hours.
- Pre heat oven to 240C and place a large baking sheet in the oven to get very hot!
- Make the pizza dough by mixing together the flour and salt, then add the water and olive oil, bring together to a dough and knead for two minutes until smooth.
- Ball up the dough, cover with a cloth and leave to soften for 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Once the dough has rested, roll it out on a lightly floured worktop into a large thin circle. If the base is left too thick it won’t crisp up and will stay doughy when cooked.
- Slide the pizza base onto a large well-floured FLAT tray.
- Brush the base liberally with the hoisin sauce, then top with the peppers and spring onions.
- Lay over the smoked tofu and scatter over the mozzarella.
- Slide the pizza carefully onto the preheated baking tray, then place in the hot oven to cook for 8-10 minutes, until coloured and very crispy around the edges.
- Remove and cool slightly, sprinkle over the chopped coriander and serve.
All products marked in bold are available to purchase through Vegetarian Express.