Fig and Sour Cherry Hot Cross Muffins
Serves: Makes 12 large buns
- 330g strong white flour
- 120g spelt flour
- pinch of salt
- zest of one orange
- 180g water
- 30g fresh yeast or 14g dried yeast
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 100g dried figs, chopped
- 100g dried sour cherries, chopped
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp ground mixed spice
White Cross Paste:
- 50g plain white flour
- 5g sunflower oil
- 40g warm water
- honey for glazing the buns
- Weigh both flours and fresh yeast into a large mixing bowl; use your fingers to rub the fresh yeast into the flour mixture. Ensure an even distribution of the yeast.
- Use a fine grater such as the microplane to grate the orange zest.
- Add the zest to the flour mix along with the salt, eggs, chopped sour cherries, figs, spices and add the water.
- Use the dough hook to kneed the dough for 8 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and kneed it into a smooth ball of dough.
- Place the dough into a lightly oiled metal bowl and cover with a clean tea towel. Let the dough prove until double in size.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Shape the dough carefully into a long log shape and divide it into 12 even sized pieces.
- Cut 12 squares of parchment paper; roll each bun in a smooth ball shape.
- Place the round bun onto the centre of the paper and then place the paper into a hole of a muffin tray. Repeat the process with all twelve balls.
- Cover the tray with a clean dry tea towel and let the buns prove until double in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C and follow the following stage while the buns are proving for the second time.
- Mix all the white cross paste ingredients (except the honey) in a small bowl to a smooth paste.
- Scoop the paste into a disposable piping bag, make a small hole and pipe a cross on top of the proved buns, just before they are ready to go in the oven.
- Bake the hot cross buns for 5 minutes at 220°C then turn the oven down to 180°C and bake for a further 22 minutes.
- As soon as the buns come out of the oven, heat the honey and brush it onto the warm buns with a pastry brush.
- Transfer the buns to a cooling rack and let then cool completely.
All products marked in bold are available to purchase through Vegetarian Express.