Crispy Quinoa Sliders
Serves: Makes 12 sliders
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable bouillon
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup freshly grated cheese
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large egg + 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 multigrain slider buns or dinner rolls
- 2 avocados, sliced for topping
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, for topping
- [1 cup is approximately 250ml in volume]
- Add quinoa and stock to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover, cooking for 15 minutes or until can be fluffed with a fork. You can do this ahead of time or even the night before (and store quinoa in the fridge) so the quinoa can cool.
- While quinoa is cooking, slice the green onions, chop the carrots, mince the garlic and grate the cheese.
- Place it all in a bowl, then add panko and mix.
- Coarsely chop the chickpeas and add to the bowl.
- Once quinoa is finished cooking, add it to the bowl and mix well until incorporated. If needed, let cool or place in the fridge for a few minutes to cool.
- Add in beaten egg & egg white, salt, pepper and mix well. Form into patties that fit the size of the buns you have (really squeeze a handful of quinoa together and smoothed it into a round, it may take some effort to get the patties to stick).
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil. Once hot, add 5-6 quinoa patties and cook until deeply golden brown and crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Gently flip and cook 5 minutes more.
- Remove and continue with remaining olive oil and patties.
- Serve with sliced avocado & mayo!
All products marked in bold are available to purchase through Vegetarian Express.